Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Fanatical Harold and Maude entry

I got a chance to watch an excellent movie after reading about Bud Cort's appearance as the "bond company stooge" for Team Zissou as being totally unrecognizable from his earlier role in Harold and Maude. Was this something I am supposed to be surprised about? This interested me enough to go online and Google it. Harold and Maude: A movie about a suicidal rich white boy who falls in love with a woman old enough to be his grandmother? Sounds good to me, and not becuase my own romantic life somewhat mirrors the movie. I said somewhat.


I want that pea coat.

A reversal of the traditional December-May love affair- isn't it supposed to be an older man and a younger woman? Indeed. I think that's why it's still so influential; there is a genuine relationship that develops between Harold and Maude that has its funny moments but doesn't rely on that particular breakage from social norms for humor. It is charming and hilarious movie; Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort were well-cast into their roles and the wardrobe wasn't anything too too seventies, thank goodness. Cort is surprisingly good-looking in that psychologically-repressed, sulky sort of way. He has brooding, bright-blue eyes and a roundish face that at times looks child-like or adult with a tall lanky body that's firmly set in yound adulthood. I think that the physical contrasts within his body works well for the film because it mirrors his psychological conflicts. His character makes me wish I could wear suits with straight-cut trousers and striped ties all the time. Unfortunately, I need to be three inches taller and ten pounds lighter to accomplish that sort of classiness.


Best look ever.

For some reason, all the photos of Gordon make her look like a mean old lady even though she's a wonderful character on film. I like how she's also a very sexual/sensual woman despite her age. She gives me something to aspire to when I get older. Even though people in the service industry have started to call me ma'am already. What is that supposed to mean?

My criteria for a good movie is if I wake up thinking about it after watching it, it's a keeper. I loved the movie. I wish Paramount had included all the original naughty bits, like the makeout scene they showed in the trailers. I'm a pervy sort of girl. The 100% Cat Stevens Yussef Islam soundtrack did not impress me that much becuase it blantantly hippy-fied the movie. If you haven't seen it yet, you should. Even if the idea of inter-generational relationships are not your bag, go watch it for the mock suicides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home