Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Old timey future stuff

I finally got around to watching the Aeon Flux movie this weekend. Interesting take-off on the storyline of the original series. I enjoyed it for what it was worth, although the dialogue concerning the mysterious nature of Flux's and Goodchild's relationships leaned towards Cringingly McCheeseworthy. I really don't expect much from these types of movies, although.

What I liked best was the costume design. Aside from Tilda Swinton's Archangel Gabriel in Constantine, since watching 2046 last spring I have not been as impressed with movie wardrobes until now.

I was a little leery at first, wondering if it was just going to be some modification - ie, sexed up version - of kimonos and cheongsams for the women and basic tees with fancy cargo pants for the men. But to my surprise, it was all very good. To me it seemed to be a balanced, believable mix with big nods to the past. I wasn't too sure about the umbrellas though.

(Cheers to my horrid screencaps! They're mixed in with the real ones.)


Meh


Giant red uvula aside, women's wardrobe was a mix of American forties, slim silhouettes with a slightly flared skirt, some vintage and modern fetishwear, English riding costumes, and grounded by some current runway pieces. The costume designer, Beatrix Aruna Pasztor, cited her influences from Westwood to Gaultier to Comme Des Garçons and Jun Takahashi.



Also note the use of color; this was another break away from other futuristic movies. Oh, and there were quite a few people of color as well.

(Psst! Most photos link to larger versions.)


From Jean Paul Gaultier's Fall 2003 RTW line


Yeah collar!


Details details


Costume National, I think.




LOOK AT HER...JACKET. And the cuffs!


A better photo. Also, an Asian!


Organic shapes with lots of color-coordinated hosiery


Standard naughty stuff


Yawn.

Menswear was impressive as well. Lots of slim-cut suits and long jackets for the masses with the ocassional slob thrown in the background. The richer folks wore clothing that was a take on Regency wear - think Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. No knickers though. I guess that would be taking it too far. There was also a lot of detail in menswear with topstitching. It's nice to know that the future still appreciates handcrafts.


Man on left...slobs still exist in the future.


Forties piece on her right, future version on our right


18th century Regency, where wigs overcompensate for a tiny head.




Oh come now Mr. Darcy, don't look so glum!


Do not come between a man and his umbrella.


Stop pouting! Look at what Peter Postlethwaite has to wear!


XA#@*&MD!!!


Topstitching


More topstitching


Nice collar, disgruntled brother.


Kicky cravats and...scuba hoods!?


And even more topstitching

The DVD also contained a short feature on the design process, which was impressive.

/geeking

1 Comments:

Blogger Lex Blagus said...

Hello, thank you very much for sharing this. I am looking for references of the male wardrobe of Aeon Flux movie, because I wanna reproduce some wear to my daily use. Some pictures you posted I found only here. Do you have more of the detailed, zoomed parts of the clothing, or would you know where can I find then? Thank you very much in advance.
-- Lex Blagus, lex@blag.us

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home