Sunday, June 04, 2006

A post about hair

Was rummaging through the home network and found a bunch of photos from the early days of digital camera-ing. Large bulky files with not-so-good resolution, but good enough to have me guffawing/smiling/cringing in long-delayed embarassment.

In high school my family and my god family went to Canada together. Once we ventured out to have tea with some of my mother's aunts. My mother's old old aunts.

Mom: And this is my family. (Gestures to me and my siblings)
Old Aunts (somewhat loudly): Splendid! What a beautiful daughter and what nice young sons you have!
Me and the siblings: ...
Mom (Shoves me forward): ...Actually, this is my eldest daughter. (Read: This one is also a girl!)
Old aunts: How nice! Two daughters!

I can't say I was totally mortified, though; looking through old writings Angsty Pre-Emo Me expressed a certain desire for androgyny. Just not in front of bloodkin, however.

This stage was both cringe-worthy and galootish; possessing a haircut that first resembled a young Aaron Kwok in the early 90s and then a spikey style that reeked of hair-gel abuse. It was kind of gross. My hair was so saturated with product that it stood stoutly against any Midwestern winds and had a prediliction for eye-puncturing if anyone got too close.


I'm a teen heartthrob; watch me dance my way into you heart!

I've never regretted dyeing my hair though; I liked all the colors it went through (dark red, ashy highlights, magenta, brown, caramel, uriney yellow, white, olive green, purple, red) except for that fake black favored by goths and emo kids. That was a necessary one since I was heading off to HK. Tempering it with brown didn't work at all.

What haircuts/styles have you regretted?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a mullet with spiked hair my freshman year in high school. Why? Who needs why when your me.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Although it's traumatic to be introduced the wrong way to unknown relatives, I'm still laughing at "Actually, ...."

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home