Monday, September 19, 2005

New beloved music!

Like the way I treat books, I often shy away from exploring music unless a) someone recommends something to me or b) I hear it on the radio c) I get it for free. Since (a) doesn't happen very often and I don't listen to the radio for music, I have to depend on option (c) to get me through. Unfortunately I get very few things in life for free, so I often end up listening to the same music over and over again.

I headed to the radio station yesterday to see what they had in their music library, since the city library was closed on Sunday. What kind of city closes their library on a Sunday?! I ended up finding what seemed like a lot of music based on clips or single songs that I had heard in the past. Bad idea. There is a reason why you tend to hear one song only from a band and then never hear much from them again.

However out of the eight or so albums I managed to listen to, one of the best was from a band called Devotchka. And sadly, the only reason I found them was becuase I was trying to find Devo and this was the only band listed under DEVO*. Picking up Devotchka only because it shares the first two syllables as Devo is like thinking I'll enjoy beets because it is a root vegetable like potatoes.

I was lucky though! Devotchka sounds a bit like Calexico, but an Eastern European Calexico. Classy use of classic beats. But sometimes they sound like Mexican music on the radio, too.

The last time I really listened to Eastern European music was two years ago when I went to watch R play at the Annual Folk Ball, which always makes me think "F**k Ball."

Folk Ball was a little scary. Folk, in this case, means mainly Eastern European folk music. It's full of hard-core folk dancers who are big on their EE heritage. EE folk dancing is like line dancing, but really really complex because the music is not typically in 4/4; most local dancers can be found working in math-related field, interestingly enough.

Apparently, Devotchka are also playing in the soundtrack for Everything Is Illuminated, which I want to watch!


Dheez guy, he ez'a heep mayn, no?

Does anyone want to divulge what they are listening to these days?

1 Comments:

Blogger helikoppter said...

Came across your blog from My Randomness and ended up checking out Devotchka because of this post. Very interesting music :)

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home