Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I am NOT an old fart

Went to the library yesterday to pickup a few books, some cool a/c, and some time to work on internet things. Unfortunately, about halfway through my time there, a group of girls barged into the library. Ah, the joys of being located near the high school.

Although they headed into a study room, I could still hear them shrieking and laughing and stomping around and generally pissing me off.

coneOfSilenceHowever, what pissed me off even more was the middle-aged asshole who would situate himself in a niche in the wall and proceed to talk shop on his cell. Hello? THERE IS NO CONE OF SILENCE AT THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, YOU STUPID ASS.

He left soon after though. The girls, unfortunately, did not. Forty-five minutes later - where the hell were the fucking librarians? - I finally got up and knocked on their door.

"Hi, I was wondering if you ladies could tone it down a bit," I said.

"Sorry," said one of them.

One girl looked at me and pointed at another, saying,"Nah, it was all her fault!"

"I'm not blaming anyone, but the door isn't soundproof. So please" shut the fuck up "quiet down," I said.

As I turned round, I heard a very deliberate shriek. It was the first girl and she pointed at her friend again. "It's all her fault!"

Fucking kids. Suddenly a guy with some library tags materialized next to me. "I can take care of it," he said. And proceeded to kick them out.

Later he came around to my study carrel. "Sorry about that, ma'am."

"No need to be sorry," I replied.

Ma'am?

I wonder if the library folks finally took action when they saw someone else talking to those girls; I certainly noticed them prowling around their study room several times. This interaction also made me feel very old in that I keep wanting to beat the hell out of those kids with my chair screaming, "You damn kids! Get the fuck out off my lawn!"

chairfight
Eye keel yuu

The library is a sacred place to me. I still remember going to the library downtown - when it was the only library - and being scared of the librarians because they laid the Smackdown on people who talked too loud. I don't if people have quiet conversations but what the fuck is with treating the library like the park?

Additionally, I hated myself for mulling over whether to ask the girls to shut up or not. Honestly, I was not out for berating or for blood; I wanted to be nice about it. And avoid some sort of "Bus Uncle" confrontation. Unfortunately most people take a request to tone things down as an insult to their character.

It is, in a way. How oblivious and rude can you be not to notice when you're making an ass of yourself?

WE ALL HAVE PRESSURE.

But we don't have to put pressure on ourselves.

umbrella-old-man-lawn

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When you're bitching about "those kids" and "those kids" are old enough to procreate, then you know you're beginning to get old. Yep, about age 23 is when I started.

2:54 PM  
Blogger BionicBuddha said...

Love the blog...the "Kung Fu Panda" was also a great entry!



www.bionicbuddha.com

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home