Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Monday stuff

What did I do after work today? I went to the local thrift store and the library downtown. The library downtown has older books I like to cannibalize for postcards. For five bucks and some change I bought:

1. White jeans with a hella long inseam
Mmmm, so eighties. Sometimes I have an insatiable desire for unflattering clothing.

2. Beginner's Russian by Jack A. Posin, 1964.
They certainly jump right into the Cyrillic alphabet; if you haven't gotten it by page eight feel free to give up and return to watching the paint peel. The introduction to the line drawings - no photos - is also funny: "[they] are, for the most part, stylised representations of the idea of certain things...some of these ideas deal with the pre-revolutionary Russian life, others - with the post-revolutionary."

3. 1969 Chilton's Repair & Tune-up Guide for Jaguar Models 340, 420, 420G, XKE
Plus 7-Color Peel-Away Inserts! Missing four of seven, though. Has a lovely old book smell and interesting line drawings of various car parts. Postcard material!

4. A History of the German Language by John T Waterman, 1966
Lately I've been doing a lot of reading on the history of languages. Unfortunately, most of the linguistic books at my library are written by rabid social conservative John McWhorter which in turn gives me a headache when I read them. Plus it's all on Western languages. BOO. Are there any good texts on Asian languages? Anyway, this book has a nice long ramble about Indo-European languages.
German is an interesting language with all its combination words. Is there a better term for this? Compound words? Kennings? This looks like a very comprehensive etymology.

5. Grolier's Book of Knowledge, 1966 ed.
It has space as a prominent theme. Also notable: Vietnam, hot futures in being a Librarian, and children's dolls. Namely, one caption in particular: "American Negro doll called Ginny." WHAT?! This is a birthday gift for G.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How about Zusammengesetztewörter!

6:23 AM  
Blogger BionicBuddha said...

I love languages...although I certainly struggle in all of them. I spent almost a month in Spain with a Berlitz phrasebook, and all I can say is "yo no tengo los huevos"! I think it means "I do not have eggs".


www.bionicbuddha.com

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home